Tips for Fencers, Coaches, Staff, etc.
- Stay home from practice or competition if you feel sick.
- Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer with 60-90% alcohol when restrooms are unavailable.
- Avoid direct physical contact with others (keep a six-foot distance when possible).
- Salute or elbow bump competitors, coaches and referees rather than shaking hands.
- Do not touch your face during a bout or training session.
- Do not share water bottles.
- Do not put your mouth on water fountains.
Tips for Club Owners and Tournament Organizers
- Make sure to have hand sanitizer and tissues in high traffic areas throughout the training or competition space, including near bout committee tables, water dispensers, score tables, etc.
- Wash all shared gear and use sanitizng wipes on weapons in between uses. Read tips on how to wash masks.
- Keep sanitizing wipes near reels and other frequently touched equipment.
- As always, make sure restrooms and locker rooms are properly cleaned on a frequent basis.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces regularly.
The CDC recommends preventative actions regarding respiratory illnesses, including:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.