(Colorado Springs, Colo.) – More than 400 athletes have been selected as members of the 2020-21 USA Fencing High School All-American Team with athletes representing 313 high schools across 29 states as well as Puerto Rico.
Athletes were selected to the team based upon classification earned or renewed during the 2020-21 season. First Team honors were awarded to those with an A or B with Second Team honors going to fencers who earned or renewed a C or D rating. Honorable Mention Team members include those with an E rating.
For the third straight year, Chatham High School in Chatham Township, N.J. had the most honorees of any school in the nation with one First Team, four Second Team and one Honorable Mention Team members.
Tim Morehouse Fencing Club placed the most athletes on the All-American Team for the third straight year with 14 qualifiers.
The top five represented clubs on this year’s team are as follows:
Tim Morehouse Fencing Club: 14
Penta Olympic Fencing Club: 12
Alliance Fencing Academy: 10
Academy of Fencing Masters: 9
Nellya Fencers: 9
Four athletes earned All-American honors in two weapons:
- Logan Gatza (Sanford, Fla. / Orlando Fencing Academy / Crooms Academy of Information Technology), First Team in epee and foil
- Nicholas Reznick (Marlboro, N.J. / Freehold Fencing Academy / Biotechnology High School), First Team in foil and Second Team in epee
- Aiden Click (Cary, N.C. / Apex Fencing Academy / Cardinal Gibbons High School), First Team in epee and Honorable Mention in foil
- Anika Kale (Portland, Ore. / Northwest Fencing Center / Sunset High School), Second Team in epee and Honorable Mention in foil
The following graduating seniors were named to the All-American Team for all four years of high school:
- Brian Ko (San Diego, Calif. / Elite International Fencers Club / Canyon Crest Academy), First Team foil (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Matthew Lee (Los Angeles, Calif. / Beverly Hills Fencers’ Club / Harvard-Westlake School), First Team epee (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Ryan Lee (El Monte, Calif. / Swords Fencing Studio / Stanford Online High School), First Team epee (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Justina Lam (Cherry Hill, N.J. / Fencers Club / Cherry Hill High School East), First Team foil (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Justin Vogler (Portland, Ore. / Northwest Fencing Center / Westview High School) First Team foil (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Maia Weintraub (Philadelphia, Pa. / Fencers Club / Friends Select School), First Team foil (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Erica Hooshi (Old Westbury, N.Y. / East Coast Fencing Club / Jericho High School), First Team foil (2021, 2020, 2019), Second Team Foil (2018)
- Weymouth Walker IV (Roswell, Ga. / Dunwoody Fencing Club / Centennial High School), First Team epee (2021, 2020, 2019), Second Team in epee (2018)
- Ethan Adler (Sparks, Md. / Baltimore Fencing Center / The Park School of Baltimore), First Team epee (2021, 2020), Second Team epee (2019)
- Preston Yen (Chatham, N.J. / Integrity Fencing Studio / Chatham High School), First Team saber (2021), Second Team saber (2020, 2019), Honorable Mention saber (2018)
- Antonio Escueta (Grand Prairie, Texas / Fencing Institute of Texas / Home School), Second Team saber (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Ayush Deshmukh (Austin, Texas / Austin Fencers Club / Westwood High School), Second Team foil (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018)
- Amelia Dungey (Keller, Texas / Globus Fencing Academy / Keller High School), First Team saber (2021 2020, 2019), Second Team saber (2018)