Cody Mattern. Photo Credit: U.S. Olympic Committee
(Colorado Springs, Colo.) – Athens Olympian Cody Mattern (Colorado Springs, Colo.) earned the top finish for Team USA during individual competition at the Tallinn Epee World Cup in Estonia on Saturday.
Mattern entered the table of 64 as a #22 seed after going undefeated in the pools on Friday and easily earned his first win on Saturday by 15-8 against Peter Szenyi (HUN).
In the next round, however, Paolo Pizzo (ITA) won the bout, 15-9, and Mattern placed 22nd overall.
Mattern’s Olympic Training Center teammates Seth Kelsey (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and Jimmy Moody (Colorado Springs, Colo.) both competed on Saturday as well, but neither advanced past the table of 64.
The #4 seed in the World Cup, Kelsey placed 33rd after an opening loss to Ludvig Hillestad (NOR), 15-10.
Moody struggled in the pools on Friday, finishing 3-3, but came back from a ranking of #134 to qualify for the table of 64 on Saturday. Moody drew 2010 World Champion Nikolai Novosjolov (EST) in the opening round and lost the bout, 15-5, to finish 61st.
Competition concludes on Sunday with the team event in which 2010 World silver medalists Mattern, Kelsey, Benjamin Bratton (New York City, N.Y.) and Adam Rodney (Queens, N.Y.) will represent Team USA.
Top eight and U.S. results are as follows:
Tallinn World Cup
1. Joerg Fiedler (GER)
2. Gauthier Grumier (FRA)
3. Nikolai Novosjolov (EST)
3. Bas Verwijlen (NED)
5. Geza Imre (HUN)
6. Anton Avdeev (RUS)
7. Benjamin Steffen (SUI)
8. Jin-Sun Jong (KOR)
22. Cody Mattern (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
33. Seth Kelsey (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
61. Jimmy Moody (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
72. Adam Rodney (Queens, N.Y.)
83. Alexander Tsinis (Little Neck, N.Y.)
110. Benjamin Ungar (Bronx, N.Y.)
111. Peregrine Badger (Providence, R.I.)
129. Corwin Duncan (College Park, Md.)
149. Dwight Smith (Elmont, N.Y.)
167. Tommi Hurme (San Antonio, Texas)
184. Benjamin Bratton (New York City, N.Y.)
232. Bobby Cottam (Mesa, Ariz.)